Prevent sweaty feet with these tips from our podiatristsJanuary 18, 2017
Sweating is a natural function of our body to cool itself down, yet extremely sweaty feet can cause distress for people. There are more than 250,000 sweat glands in each foot, producing half a cup of sweat a day. Sweaty feet or hyperhidrosis is a common condition that causes excessive sweating on the soles of the feet. The hot weather can make it worse, but hyperhidrosis can occur in summer and winter months.
Our Geelong podiatrists will be able to assess your sweaty feet and help you decide which treatment options are best for you. Most cases require a change in footwear and socks, the use of foot sprays or a change in your hygiene habits may also be recommended.
To prevent sweaty feet, there are several things you can do, including:
- wear well-fitting shoes made of leather that allow your feet to breathe. Avoid shoes made of rubber.
- Wash and dry your feet thoroughly after bathing and wipe down with methylated spirits on a cotton ball.
- Wear 100% cotton socks instead of nylon.
- Use tea tree foot spray or bathe your feet daily in warm water with a few drops of teatree oil.
- Air your shoes daily and rotate shoes very day.
- Change socks daily.
Excessively sweating feet that are not treated properly may lead to additional problems including tinea pedis, nail fungus, warts, blisters and painful splits. Please contact our podiatrists for assessment and advice.